Feedburner Headline Animator

Monday, August 23, 2010

Columbus Caterer Celebrates National Peach Month!

August is National Peach Month!
Did you know it's National Peach Month!

August is the time to celebrate one of my favorite fruits, the peach!  There's something about this fuzzy fruit, that has always made it a favorite of mine.  Maybe it's how my mother used to call me a peach-fuzz monkey, when I was little.  Or told me that little peaches would grow...in my armpits....no less!  Fond childhood memories often have a tie with food.  So I'm always excited to celebrate peach month.  When the peaches are in season, and in abundance!  Check out how Taste Of The Best Catering celebrates the peach this month!  But first...some tips on how to find the best ones.

The History of the Peach
Since I love the peach so much, I thought I would dig up some history of this wonderful fruit.    The peach came from China, originally, and was regarded as a "Mystic Fruit".  It was supposed to bring luck, abundance and protection.  Because of it's ability to grow in eroded, grazing pastures, it then became regarded as a symbol of fertility and affection.  Once they were on the move around the world, many different strains became abundant.  The Native American were known to LOVE peaches.  They were found in many different tribal areas.  In this day an age, peaches can be grown in most climates.  So your chances of getting hold of some fresh ripe ones this month are very good.  Columbus has some great farms, that are overflowing right now! 

Clingstone Vs. Freestone - What's the Difference?
A Cling-stone Peach
Have you ever heard of these 2 versions?  I never had, even though I guess I knew there was a difference, just in trying to enjoy them.  Clingstone peaches are the "pain in the butt" ones, that never come clean from the pit.  Now I've stumbled onto this difference, just in trying to cut a peach for fruit salad.  These peaches are meant more for canning and baking purposes.  Basically, anything where a beautiful "CLEAN" slice of peach isn't necessary.  When your canning, and baking, the way the cut of fruit looks, isn't important.  There's nothing wrong with these peaches.  They do tend to be harder in texture, and not as juicy.  But they are still good.

The freestone peaches are my favorite, for obvious reasons.  Because the pit practically falls out of the peach for you.  No hassles, no ugly pieces, just yummy juicy sweet peach!  These are the best kind for eating fresh.  And if you have the chance to visit one of our awesome local farms in Columbus OH, then you're in for a treat!  One of my favorites is Lynd's Fruit Farm in Pataskala.  It's not too far, and easy to find.  GREAT prices, and they have farm fresh veggies, as well as fruit.  You can also pick your own.  Just look for good color on the peach, no obvious soft spots or bruises, and a great smell.  I'll write more on them at a later date.  Check them out!

A Special Catering Homage to the Peach!
 Okay, so I already said that I love peaches.  So, this month, we have some peach inspired menu items for everyone to enjoy.  We've created a special chilled soup, which is one of my favorites.  We just previewed it, at an VIP art gallery opening,  and it's been a hit!  It's called Chilled Curry Peach Soup Refresher.  We serve this as a bowl, cup, or our popular favorite, a appetizer shot!  It it yellow and white peaches, with curry, and a secret kick that makes it almost like a liquid peach cloud in your mouth!  Sounds good huh?  

 Then we have the peach bellini.  You know, champagne and anything is a pretty good combo!  A wonderful lite summer drink, that is great for brunch, a before dinner drink, or a nice lite offering to pair with appetizers.  It's highlighted with a fresh raspberry, and served ice cold.  And the flavor from using fresh peaches is outstanding.  This can also be done in a non-alchoholic version, with sparkling cider, or apple juice, which is great for a Sweet 16 party, or for non-drinkers.


My last favorite would of course be peach pie.  We will be highlighting a great recipe for that tomorrow, since it will be National Peach Pie Day!...I know....a little bit much...right?!?  But who can resist peach pie, made with fresh peaches, and some vanilla bean ice cream! YUMMY!

Check out our website for our catering menu selections.
If you would like to get pricing or order some of our delicious peach items for your next event contact us at 614-358-4559.  

Happy Peach Eating! 
Join me on Google Plus here: Jenine Blackwell

No comments:

Post a Comment